Monday, August 4, 2008

Summer Field Trips


Today we had one of our summer field trips. At my Creative Homemakers group meeting in May, we all brought our calendars and planned field trips for the summer. The fire station, a tortilla factory, Art Day facilitated by our group's art teacher/enthusiast, blueberry picking (rained out), a football stadium (this Saturday), and the public library all made the docket. Today was the Dallas Public Library--downtown branch. While I'm a huge fan of the Dallas Public Library, I NEVER go to the downtown location; before today, I couldn't have even told you how to get there. We have one precious member who spent her years before having children as a librarian at a local elementary school. She is a great reader--entertaining for all! So, she read to the children for about 45 minutes, then we had the opportunity to check out books. I was amazed by the selection of children's books at the main branch!!! They had all sorts of titles that I had never seen at the branch close to my house. I checked out Don Freeman (author of Corduroy) books that I had never seen before, and many books that I know are out-of-print! I was like a kid in a candy store. It was so much fun. My bag was so heavy when I came out of the library, I had to carry it with both arms and push the stroller with my hips! It was quite a sight. I learned a lesson-- library's main branch--more books--more selection--good stuff.

1 comment:

Hopsy said...

What a fun way to spend the afternoon. I have never been to the downtown library either, but after your post I am adding it to my list. It sounds like a wonderful way to spend part of the day!